Sunday 16 September 2007

Korean windows

The table is finished! Well, almost. I finished all the sanding and waxing and screwing last Saturday night at about 1am but still haven't tracked down the glass for the top. I went into Mr. Bricolage yesterday morning to get some cut only to be told that I should use safety glass and that it's only available on order. Fingers crossed for next weekend.















This is where things stand at the moment. No bad, huh? I'm pretty pleased. It's very stable and it scoots around quite happily on its little castors. The legs are just pine and were super-white when they started but three layers of coloured wax have done the trick - they're still a little lighter than I would have liked but the difference is barely noticeable in daylight and the windows themselves are made of at least two, if not three, kinds of wood anyway.

Today, it was sewing. I inherited a pair of old white(ish) muslim curtains from a friend and finally set to doing some much-needed repairs. Several buckets of soap and water, some new tabs and an attempt at ironing later (the plug doesn't fit properly in my ancient sockets and I realised after a few minutes that the metal connections were so loose that they were blackening and starting to burn - time to unplug, learn to love the wrinkles and obsessively check the wall for burning for the next few hours), they were good to go. The new tabs at the left are cream rather than white but I figured making them a bit ugly was a good tactic for making sure I replace them reasonably quickly.
In the meantime, the bathroom trauma continues....

No comments: