Friday 22 August 2008

Finished.

I've done it! I started on April 26 so it's only dragged out for a measly four months, but that doesn't matter because it's done. DONE! And boy oh boy but it's beeeooutiful.

Soooo beautiful. Sigh. I keep going into the kitchen just to admire it and have little daydreams about how lovely it could look surrounded by a non-disastrous kitchen.

Anyway, here's a little "see how far that window's come" set of pictures:
- back in March, when there was scaffolding outside my window and I kept forgetting and ambling through to the kitchen straight after my shower thinking that my window still looked out onto a wall and not onto a bunch of builders doing work on said wall. Oops.


- getting started back in April. When I was still a paint-stripping innocent and had no idea what awaited me. Although I have also realised that the whole thing, including sanding and oiling and more sanding and more oiling and blacking and polishing this weekend, probably took about 45 hours all in, which is exactly how long that little baby blanket took to knit. Not that I'd be queuing up to knit baby blankets if rubber gloves were part of the equation.

- here it is before I went on holiday, when I gaily thought that the sanding-oiling-blacking-polishing bit would be done in two shakes of a lamb's tail. I thought it was pretty then, but the extra work has made all the difference. And no, I can't believe I'm getting all gushy about a window either, but there you go.
.
- and here's the blacking in progress:

- and here's the blacking and polishing done:
.

Yay.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm so impressed! What's those little doors for under the window on the inside?

El Jinx said...

Hi Benita - thanks for dropping by and thanks for your kind comment.
The little doors hide a tiny pantry. My building was built around 1910 so every flat has a space built into the walls with external ventilation for keeping vegetables and dairy and the like cool. The inside of mine was lined with vinyl to make the kitchen less drafty, presumably at the point when a previous occupant got a fridge. I keep my pans, crockery, glasses and cutlery in there because I only have two cupboards in my kitchen at the moment. I think I'm going to do a little kitchen tour in my next post because it's so bad it's worth seeing!

Anonymous said...

You are doing such a great job!
Love the little pantry. In fact I love all the little nooks and crannies an old home brings. Newer homes are so flat in comparison. I do wish I'd live in a new build once in a while when I've taken too much on and wish it were all done already :)