Sunday 13 January 2008

Should have known better.

Rather a frustrating weekend. It started full of ideas about shelves and doors and cupboards and ended up with a damaged chair. Not best.
On Saturday, I braved the sales crowds at BHV and Leroy Merlin but came home empty-handed - no brackets for shelving at BHV, realised I'd forgotten a key measurement for my door supplies, queues at the tills and the wood cutting too long for me to buy wood without being late for dinner, handles I wanted for my black cabinet all sold out, harumph.
My very grim bathroom door has been kicked in, poorly repaired and poorly painted at some point in its life. It's one of the uglier features in an already ugly space:


Knowing I'm probably going to end up buying a new door in any case and have nothing to lose, I took a chisel to it when I got home from work on Thursday night to see if it might be fixable. I think the chances are slim. First, I'd thought the molding was separate and would come away fairly easily but it's actually a continuation of the body of the door so I don't have a very clean join. Second, they don't sell this kind of molding in BHV, Leroy Merlin or M. Bricolage, so if I'm going to get a near match I'm going to have to do lots of fiddly work and even then it'll never be quite right. It's almost definitely not worth the effort but I'll give it a shot anyway.


Having failed to get the necessary supplies yesterday, I was a bit stuck today so I just went for an amble by the canal and stopped in at the depôt vente... to find, waiting quietly, the chair I've been hoping to find for the last few months - new cushions and it'll be perfect. I had a seat and a think and a stand around and another think and went for a hot chocolate to think some more and came back for another look. It was when I came back and had a little heart-sinking moment when I thought it had been sold that I decided to stuff the price and just buy it. I carted it home there and then.
Which is when the trouble started. I wiped it down with a damp cloth and some detergent because it was pretty grubby and flecked with white paint here and there. Unfortunately, I made the STUPID mistake of rubbing too hard at some of the paint and I've ended up raising the grain. I felt sick when I realised what I'd done. It's not a disaster but basically it's gone from being a beautiful Danish Modern armchair, albeit with some flecks of paint, to being a dull-looking, albeit paint-free, second-hand chair.
I'm hoping oiling or waxing it will repair the damage but I'm not doing a thing until I'm sure I won't make the situation worse. Damn. Ah well, I'll get over it - it's still a lovely thing with beautiful workmanship and gorgeous honey-coloured wood.




Also spotted at the depôt vente today: the fantastic "cowhide commode". Intriguing and terrifying at the same time...

No comments: