Tuesday 4 December 2007

Praise be for the post!

My very welcome guest caught a train to Amsterdam on Thursday afternoon. He came by my office beforehand so we could have lunch together and he could give me back my keys. The lunch bit went very well, the key bit less so. Four hours later, chatting to a colleague about his visit, it struck me that my house keys, office keys and post-box key were all on their merry way to Holland. Ah...
Fortunately, my spare keys were with a friend rather than in a shoebox beside my bed so I've been able to function, but I've been lying awake at night wondering why on earth I told him to post me my keys rather than insisting on UPS or registered mail or even just jumping on a train to Amsterdam for the weekend. I should add that I have the most hard-core five-point dead bolt system on my steel-reinforced door (heck knows what the previous residents have been scared of but they did not want visitors) so getting spares or replacing locks is an expensive business.
Anyway, all this to say that my keys finally arrived at work this morning and boy was I relieved. Probably even beats the Aerobed delivery day in terms of wide grins.

No comments: